Aug 10, 2010

A Motherly Touch



There is a popular saying which states; "Behind a great man, theirs a great woman". For that statement is very true, they failed to mention the woman who carried and raised the man... The Mother.
My mother, Deborah Ann Spencer, was born on December 29, 1960. She is the eldest of 5 siblings, raised in a single parent household. Growing up in a neighborhood where poverty was high, drugs were abused, and violence cut lives short. My mother had a dream, and she was determined not to allow her environment to consume her. After graduating from high school, she attend Long Beach State University where she supported herself and breezed through with flying colors. While she was in college, she met some elders in the church who mentored and inspired her throughout her journey. She crossed paths with a sailor from Texas who was stationed in California. At McDonalds, Ira Keith Spencer swept her off her feet and married her a few years later. At the age of 24, she gave birth to a baby boy. She wanted to name him Dominic or Chris, but while she was in the recovery room the proud father couldn't resist and decided to name his son Ira Keith Spencer II. After she recovered, she called the nurse to bring her son little Keith in. The nurse returned with a chocolate complected little girl... "Hold Up"! my mother said. "I gave birth to a son, and his name is Ira Keith Spencer II" she said, "Well, I saw an Ira Spencer but he is a white baby" the nurse replied. "Ummm no that's my son"....Oops lol. So, once the nurse got it right I was united with my mother again, and we have been united ever since.
My mother and I have always had a great relationship. Although she was extremely hard on me growing up and I never understood why, as I got older the more appreciative I was for it. Her wisdom and prayers have molded me into the man I am today, and for that I am ever so grateful. No words can describe her and no one can compare. From working a full time job, to running a household, tending to a daughter with special needs, ministering through ever avenue, serving God and the community, a leader of multiple church groups, a student, and family oriented entrepreneur... She hardly breaks a sweat in this Texas heat. She truly lives with a heart of servitude, and "No Excuses" motto.
We had an awesome conversation today about ministry and our divine purpose which is to serve. People get caught up in thinking that going to church is praising and serving the Lord. For the church is their for fellowship and to sharper iron w/ iron. Serving and building the kingdom, is what takes place after the sermon. Serving is being all things to all people, and providing a need to someone in need. My father made a statement the other night that people are put in your life for two reasons; For them to be a blessing to you, or for you to be a blessing to them. You just never know what someone is dealing with, and who knows your words of encouragement might have just saved there life. I am so fortunate to have been blessed with an amazing God-Fearing family. And I would like to thank my mother for all the tough love, uplifting words of wisdom, and sacrifices she has made for us. I pray I can become half the person you are someday.
STAY BLESSED

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Keith! You have just added days to your Mom's earthy home by calling her blessed! I agree, your Mom is truly a Proverbs 31 Woman. For she looketh well to the ways of her household...Her children arise up, and call her blessed...she excellest other daughters. Amen, You do the right thing to praise her, for she fears the Lord (v.30)! We all have a Mother (as designed by God), but not all can say these many wonderful things about their Moms. Continue to count your blessings, one by one, starting with your Mom and praise God for His grace and mercy that last for ever and ever!Amen
    Aunt Pat and Uncle David

    ReplyDelete