Feb 26, 2010

Separation of Church and Sports?





We came across this article the other day and have been reflecting on it ever since. Being a devout Christian Athlete, this seemed to be right up my alley. In a nut shell, the article discussed the clashing amongst religious principles and the actions that take place on the field. I can understand the writer's concern, he states that
Professional football is a heady mixture of toughness, violence, and piety -- vicious collisions coupled with post-touchdown genuflections, trash talk mixed with heaven-directed index fingers, anger and aggression interrupted by prayers." He says these "cheap advertisements of the faith" in big-time sports "smack of cheap grace.
This challenges all athletes whom say they play for the Glory of God to fully conduct themselves in a way that is pleasing to God. At the same time we must take head and not pass judgment. We are all at different walks in life; and none of us are where we need to be (if that were the case, we'd be side by side with Enoch and Elijah right now). I represent Christ on the court because it is my job. If I was working in corporate America I would represent Him in that arena as well. I am nothing without God, and as a Christian man I will let it be known that The Lord is with me at all times.

I disagree with a few of the points in this article. One main point being
...consider ditching those on-field prayer circles and "tired images of Christ as coach or Christ as teammate who is always on our side." That would seem to require a cultural revolution few are willing to join, even if some might cheer it on.
The question the article raises about separating church and sports is also a question with a not so complicated answer. For me, this separation is completely unnecessary. I believe it to be our duty to glorify God in any way possible. We are each blessed with different talents, gifts, abilities, and should use those to glorify the One who has bestowed those upon us. Do you have to point your index fingers in the air when you've reached your sales quotas in the office? No, but if that is how you chose to glorify your Lord and Savior, then by all means do so. We should in no way judge those who choose to pay homage to their Creator.

Let us remember that "unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" (Luke 12:48). This applies to everyone, including professional athletes. Take a step back, evaluate your walk, are you an athlete that chooses to outwardly glorify God on the field? If so, be sure to look at your actions on the court during competition. Let these be actions which are pleasing to God. Do not put yourself in a position where you are stumbling block (Romans 14:13) to others.

Can we be witnesses and missionaries for God as we play sports? Yes, I believe we can.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the article, but I have to say after reading your post,you might be interested in a book I read last year-- "The Reason For Sports: A Christian Fanifesto." I thought the book was ok, but I am not an athlete anymore. Other athletes though have really enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! We will definitely be looking into the book. Definitely an interesting topic.

    ReplyDelete